- A permit to acquire is necessary to purchase a weapon.
- Applicants must be age 21 or over to apply for the permit and be a resident of Buchanan County.
- This permit is good for five years and can be renewed upon expiration. It will be in the form of a hard, plastic card.
- Applicants may not obtain a permit to acquire if they have ever been convicted of a felony, domestic abuse assault, or have been adjudicated as a mentally defective.
Permits to Carry Weapons: NEW - $60.00 cash or check (hard card)
- Applicants must be age 18 or over for a professional permit to carry (work related)
- Applicants must be age 21 or over for a non-professional permit to carry a concealed weapon.
- Applicants will be disqualified for obtaining a permit to carry if one or more of the following pertains:
- Applicant is a convicted felon.
- Applicant is addicted to alcohol.
- Applicant is convicted of a misdemeanor assault conviction (non-domestic violence related) committed within prior three years, except for those involving a firearm or explosive.
- Applicant is convicted of going armed with intent (assault involving firearm is a lifetime disqualifier).
- Applicant is convicted of a misdemeanor crime of domestic abuse assault.
- Applicant is adjudicated as a mental defective.
- Applicants will need to complete an application for a permit to carry concealed weapons in the county of which the applicant resides.
- Applicants will need to have a valid photo ID with your current address information.
- Applicants will be asked to provide proof of firearms training or provide one of the following:
- Any National Rifle Association handgun safety training course.
- Any handgun safety course available to the general public utilizing instructors certified by the NRA or the Iowa law Enforcement Academy, another state's department of public safety, state police department, or similar certifying body.
- Any handgun safety training course offered for security guards, investigators, special deputies, or any other division or subdivision of a law enforcement or security enforcement agency approved by the Iowa Department of Public Safety.
- Completion of small arms training while serving with the Armed Forces of the United States as evidenced by any of the following: personnel released or retired from active duty, in possession of an honorable discharge or general discharge under honorable conditions (DD-214 form).
- For personnel on active duty or serving in one of the National Guard or reserve components of the Armed Forces of the United States, possession of a certificate of completion of basic training with a service record of successful completion of small arms training and qualification.
- Completion of a law enforcement agency firearms training course that qualifies a peace officer to carry a firearm in the normal course of the peace officer's duties.
- Range qualification is NOT required for NEW permits, but may still be part of the instruction. This is at the instructor's discretion.
Permits to Carry Weapons: RENEWAL - $35.00 cash or check (hard card)
- The application for the renewal of a current permit must be received by the issuing agency 30 days prior to the expiration date of the current permit or 30 days after the expiration date and training for a renewal application must have occurred within the previous 12 months from the date of expiration of the currently held permit to be eligible for the statutory $25.00 renewal fee. If both criteria are not met, the fee will be $50.00 for a new permit. You will be asked to provide previous documentation of training. Acceptable forms of training are listed above under NEW permits.
- The same application form and background check requirements will apply to both NEW and RENEWAL applications.
- Range qualification OR re-taking the handgun safety course is REQUIRED for renewal permits.
The Buchanan County Sheriff’s Office offers plastic ID cards for weapon permits. This fee is $60 new or $35 renewal price for the carry permits. The cost for the card is assessed to defray the expense of printing the cards and maintaining the equipment used to print them. The Buchanan County Sheriff’s Office will print the cards on site. Office hours for weapons permits are from 8:00 am to 4:00 pm Monday through Friday. Due to the increased volume in weapon permits, please allow extra time for this process.