The Facts about Kids and the Danger of Drowning
Other safety tips to remember when near or in water:
- Use lifejackets for non-swimmers to bridge momentary lapses in supervision.
- All Iowans, children and adults alike, should use lifejackets on recreational waters.
- Learn to swim and teach your children as well. Formal swimming lessons can reduce the risk of drowning, particularly among young children.
- Provide fences with self-closing, self-latching closures around swimming pools and spas.
- Avoid alcohol use while swimming or supervising children.