Prevent Bug Bites
What to know before you go. Bugs can spread diseases.
Travelers to tropical and other destinations should take steps to prevent bug bites.
- Protect yourself. Wearing insect repellent with at least 20% DEET protects against mosquito and tick bites.
- Apply protection. When applying both sunscreen and insect repellent, apply sunscreen first, let it dry, then apply insect repellent.
- Other ways to prevent bug bites:
- Wear long sleeves and pants.
- Use permethrin-treated gear and clothing.
- Sleep in places that are air conditioned or screened against bugs.
- Sleep under a bed net if sleeping area is exposed to the outdoors.
- See a doctor if you get sick after traveling and tell the doctor you traveled.